Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, you will have likely heard about ‘telehealth’ and ‘telehealth services’. But what is telehealth and how can telehealth services benefit you?
In a nutshell, telehealth is the term used to describe healthcare services provided remotely by video or telephone. So if you spoke with your doctor via the Internet using Skype or a similar tool, you would be taking advantage of telehealth services. Another example of telehealth could be if you used an online patient portal to send your healthcare professional some images or records.
The goals of telehealth are numerous, but some of the primary desired outcomes include:
- To make healthcare accessible to people who live in rural or isolated communities
- To make healthcare accessible to people who have limited mobility, time or those who do not like venturing out of their houses
- To provide easier and faster access to medical professionals
- To help enforce social distancing requirements
- To allow individuals to self-manage their healthcare needs
- To enable more intuitive collaboration between healthcare professionals to afford better outcomes for patients
Even after the COVID-19 pandemic is over, we can expect telehealth services to remain a core part of healthcare going forward.
If you’d like to find out more about the telehealth services provided by France Surgery, please get in touch.